| Changing the NBN technology
There are a number of ways you can be connected to the nbn™.
- FTTP (fibre to the premises)
- nbn™ have run fibre to your premises,
- FTTN (fibre to the node)
- nbn™ has connected fibre to the street and uses the existing copper cable from the street to your premises.
- FTTB (fibre to the basement)
- nbn™ has connected fibre to the basement of a building and uses the existing copper cable infrastructure
in the building.
- NBN Fixed Wireless
- nbn™ will connect a wireless device on your premises and this will connect to a NBN wireless tower.
IF your premises is connected to the nbn™ via FTTN or FTTB, you can apply to have the technology changed to
Fibre to the Premises. (FTTP).
Please refer to these links for more information about changing technology.
Technology choice program
Technology Choice Policy
Why would customer want to connect to the NBN with FTTP instead of FTTN.
FTTP – Speeds of up to 100/40 delivered over a fibre network to the premises.
FTTN – Speeds of up to 100/40 delivered over a fibre network to the node and then into the premises on the
EXISTING copper network.
The speed will be dependent on the quality of the copper lines to the building and then to the individual customer’s premises.
Customer can connect now to the NBN and if the decision is made to move the site to FTTP, the services can be switched
once the work is completed.
Please note FTTN has the ability to be faster than ADSL 2 and ADSL 1 Broadband services.
These charges may apply when ordering nbn™ services.
nbn™ New Development charge.
A New Development Charge will apply to the first connect order in a New Development Location. New Development
Location means an nbn™ Serviceable location which is identified by nbn™ as being within the site boundary of a new
development, for which nbn™ Co creates a new location ID; including new developments in brownfields areas.
This charge is passed through from nbn™ and is charged as a result of the Telecommunications Infrastructure in
New Developments Policy, issued by the Australian Government. It applies regardless of the technology type, plan or
contract term selected. You will be informed when the charge is applicable and will be required to agree to the
charge before the order will proceed, giving you an opportunity to inform your end user if you wish to pass the charge on.
- One off charge – $300 Inc. GST
Other nbn™ charges
- Incorrect Callout during initial installation – $82.50
- Incorrect Callout post installation – $220.00
- Installation of Central Splitter on a FTTB/N service during initial installation* – $186.00
- Installation of Central Splitter on a FTTB/N service post installation* – $276.00
- Late Cancellation (Site Visit Required) – $82.50
- Missed Appointment – $82.50
- Transition Reversal in the event a FTTB/N was unauthorised (disconnection of FTTB/N and
reversal of any installation works undertaken as part of the original Transition Order) – $275.00
- Voiceband Reinstatement/Transition Reversal – $275.00
- Subsequent Installation (final price determined by nbn™ onsite) – $297 + Labour Rate ($82.50)+
Materials over and above Initial Standard Installation
- Installation for nonstandard installation (price determined by nbn™ onsite and assessed on case by case basis)
– Labour Rate + Materials over and above initial standard installation
Central Splitter information (FTTN and FTTB Customers only)
* There are specific responsibilities that relate to the purchase and ownership transfer of a central splitter:
Business Technology Centre limits any liability it may have for or in connection with any goods or services provided
in the course of nbn™ Co’s installation of a Central Splitter at the relevant End User’s premises, to using its best endeavours to:
(a) in the case of services, procuring nbn™ Co to supply the services again; and
(b) in the case of goods, to (at Business Technology Centres’ election) procuring nbn™ to replace the goods, supply
equivalent goods or repair the goods within 2 years from the date of nbn™ Co’s installation of a Central Splitter.
By ordering a central splitter, you acknowledge that:
(a) nbn™ requires the transfer of title and risk of the Central Splitter to the End User immediately upon completing
the installation, to avoid interference with churn, or other issues with moving and removing the Central Splitter; and
(b) title and risk in any Central Splitter supplied by nbn™ Co will pass from nbn™ Co to Business Technology Centre
upon completion of the Professional Splitter Installation. Business Technology Centre will use reasonable endeavours to
transfer title in the Central Splitter to you.
You must not:
(a) remove a Central Splitter that is installed on the nbn™ Co Network; or
(b) prevent, or impose conditions on, the use of any Central Splitter, after it ceases to be used in relation to a product of you.
This page summarises some helpful things to know, if you have any questions please call us on 07 4759 5000.
- Prices displayed on this page exclusive of GST.
- Payment options include direct debit from a nominated savings, cheque or credit card account.
- A New Development Charge of $300 inc. GST is applicable to all NBN services if so deemed by the NBN Co as a
new development. During the provisioning process you will be informed by Business Technology Centre if your premises
is deemed a new development and you can choose to proceed with your order.
- Service is billed monthly in advance.
- Service is not available in all areas.
- Plan is subject to our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).
- 30 days’ notice is required for cancellation of services.
- In most cases you are able to retain your current landline telephone number.
- Connection times vary depending on the pre-provisioning steps that have already been carried out by
NBN Co for your premises. Once the order has been submitted we will contact you to advise you of the installation date.
- NBN Broadband service will be contracted for a 24 month term.
- An pro-rata early termination fee applies if you cancel within your contract term.
- You may change plans at any time during your contract.
- There is no charge to upgrade or downgrade your plan.
- Service connection time is between three and 14 working days. If you currently have an active service,
in most cases you can continue to use it without service interruption.
- Data usage is counted in gigabytes where 1 gigabyte (GB) = 1000 megabytes (MB).
- Unused data is forfeited at the end of each billing month.
- If you use your monthly data allowance your service speed will be shaped to 256Kbps once you exceed
your allocated data limit.